Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Oh, the Winds A Blowin'

Since my last post several weeks ago, I've heard from so many VSCers who have re-surfaced. They've all come forward with stories of yesteryear, and news of the last 25 years! I'll attempt to share that news in this post the best that I can. First off, thanks to Robin Patrick (Daniels) RDaniels@archstonesmithcom (74-81), Peter Gow (72, 73, 80) pgow@mindspring.com , and Michele Monserrate (78-80?) monserrate@1stlaw.com for posting comments. If you'd like to make a comment, you'll need to create a sign-in with Google. Takes 2 minutes and is painless ... even for technophobes like you, Miller!

So, yes, I've heard from Di Miller (Schoder) schoders@aol.com (72-80?), who writes "I haven't made it to the Vineyard at all this summer but it's always on my mind. Some close friends bought a boat in RI and of course sailed to the Vineyard before coming up north with it (they brought us fudge though) .... We've all been sailing as much as possible. I've been lucky and had many weeks at a time on the boat. Took a family vacation to the BVI's on a 40 ft catamaran last January. My three girls are doing well...Tammy got her masters in Literacy in May, Carly got her BS in nursing, and Molly is going into 6th grade!"

Heidi Duncanson HeidiD4660@aol.com (74-77?) actually started this whole blog idea with an email that started "It's the end of the summer and that always makes me think about the end of camp...sniff, sniff. I had the usual crazy working mom summer. When I wasn't in the office, I was driving, driving, driving - to and from camps (Hope), to and from parties and movies and concerts (Andrew). I'm afraid I haven't been doing my part for reducing my gasoline consumption..."

"Bats" aka Patricia Keyser PKeys@aol.com (75-78??) writes "I work in NYC (as a banker). I recently purchased a quilting frame and machine and have been trying to use it. I make quilts for homeless families. My small contribution to make life better for someone less fortunate. It would be great to see everyone."

Michele Monserrate (78-80?) writes "This is such a scream. I visited the blog and promise to add to it. What, did you get out your old CIT looseleaf notebook and copy all the song titles down? (yes) I did not see the Princess Pat listed...I sing it with my kids, Caroline (5) and Sean (7), who both think I'm a nut case. I live in Albany and work 3 minutes from my house and only 3 days a week, which keeps my brain from getting too mushy. My husband, Sean, is also an attorney, but our areas of practice are entirely different -thank god! I would love to know about Cutts, Caroline and Dottie Oehmler, Nicole Morey, Elaine King, Bats, and Deb and Marty Taft. It's funny how often I still think about the camp and how frequently I still draw from that life experience -- we really roughed it (hot showers 3x per week, outhouses, capers) and thought it was the greatest place! I promise to search my memory bank for some material for the blog.

Cindy Gardiner chester1581@cox.net (76-??) writes "Hey, great to be back in touch after all these years. I have been a single mom for 17 years ... my daughter, Tracey, is headed tomorrow to Univ of New Haven grad school for a masters in forensic science. (Holy CSI !) My 17-year old son Chris is a bass player. I have been an RN for 25 years and worked for several years on a fire dept and rescue squad...and am now in administration in a nursing home. Hope we can have a reunion!"

I've also heard from Candy Swan (Ruitenberg) cruitenberg@hotmail.com (77-78?) who writes "Spent the summer up at the Vineyard. My daughter, Kaitlyn works at a gallery in E-town, Zak in a coffee shop and Chelsea in a clothing store. I've been very busy with the schooner business. It has been an interesting summer. My husband, Paul has been flying back and forth. There is finally a charter flight from NJ to MV! I hope all is well with everyone!"

Katie Goode katiegoode@verizon.net (73-78?) writes "I'm busy with a new job. Last November I moved from Marmaxx to HomeGoods - another division of TJX. It was a small move in terms of location, but a pretty big promotion from a small fish in the ocean to a bigger fish in a pond. I went on a 2-week cruise to Greece, Egypt, adn Turkey in May, which was fantastic. I'd love to see you all whenever we can arrange it."

Martha Monserrate (McDade) MMONSERR@aol.com (75-??) writes " Rapple - I can't believe it! Michele just sent me your email...the blog song list brings back a ton of memories. I think about our VSC days often -- in fact, if I am stressed and cannot sleep at night, I visualize the Mainstay and the bluff, the campfires, singing "The Vineyard Winds", walking to the waterfront for sailing... Whatever happened to MaryPat Burdick, Candy Swan, Di Miller, Elaine King, Ducky Drake, and Pat Fox? I have been happily ensconced in Rye, NY for 16 years. I have a husband and 2 sons - Conor (16) and Colin (14). I live on the water (Long Island Sound) and have a boat (sadly, a motorboat - 2 family members get seasick on sailboats!) Neither my husband nor my 2 boys ever properly tie a figure-eight on the cleat which irritates me to no end! I am an environmental engineer and run my own shop from home. I am also on the Rye Planning Commission - and several other volunteer ventures. My latest is a foundation to help returning troops who have lost arms or legs -- called the Given Limb -- inspired by the husband of my non-VSC sister, who was the "Hawkeye Pierce" of Iraq and is now working at Walter Reed. I would love to hear from any of the old gang.!

And, I've also heard from Dawn Pars (McKenna) DawnMcKenna@HGParsLabs.com (72-76?) who writes "What a great idea. Believe it or not, I am writing you from Martha's Vineyard!!! My husband and I bought one of the cute gingerbread houses in Oak Bluffs 20 years ago and we spend every summer here. I miss VSC and the people who made it great. And, by the way, when VSC closed I went to see it "one last time," saw the old painted sign on the tree and took it - don't report me! While never looking forward to summer's end, now I am dying to go home and look through the old stuff to find out what I can remember.....My husband, Stephen, and I have two wonderful kids -- Ashley who just graduated from college and is going to grad school, and Stephen who is about to be 17....I spent 6 years as a Selectman in Lexington, am Chairman of the Tourism Committee, adn am now trying to find something to do so I can get paid for all my efforts for a change!"

All for now!

3 comments:

Ricki said...

What a rush! This is Ricki Erickson (72-73, 76), writing from Sausalito, CA. I am working here as a harbormaster and also as a first officer on the Alcatraz Cruises ferries. I cruised the Pacific for a few years, got my captain's license, and settled here for the past 9 years. I can't believe all the memories that have flooded my mind as I read name after name on the blog. Eric is in Saxtons River, VT. I would love to be in touch with others who share the memories I have. I can so clearly visualize exiting the ferry, bicycle in hand, singing at the top of our lungs. Last summer Eric sent me a ring and ticket for a ride on Flying Horses. They are hanging in the galley of the 38' sloop that I own, which is also where I live. Rapple, thanks. I hope to hear from other VSC alum.

Sue Rapple said...

Wow!!!! Ricki Erickson - I think I was a passenger on your ferry last year. How wierd is that!!! Heidi Duncanson created a Vineyard Sailing Camp alumni group on Facebook. Check it out. Also, share your email address the next time you post so VSC alums can be in touch with you.

Rapple

Eric said...

I'm here too - Eric (Erickson) Robinson (68-72, 76-77) - cool to see all you folks. I actually saw Cynnie a couple of years ago - she applied for a rec job in Bellows Falls, near us. I see Wendy Randall every once in a while too. We stopped into Oak Bluffs on a cruise in the fall of '07, on our way from Iceland to Antarctica. Went to the Flying Horses, but didn't plan to ride until an 11-year-old offered a free ticket. I could only get 2 rings at a time tho :( out of practice, I guess...

I'm hoping some more of us "older" campers find this site too.